My work explores the intersections between religion, spirituality and sexuality often questioning our current moral value system that seems to have been established through a mass blind acceptance of a normalised truth claim .
Using colours and symbolisms, inspired from historical texts, I further my narratives by developing staged scenes to create a tension between the real and the fictional.
By blurring the lines between the real and the imagined I try to force the viewer to ponder over alternate interpretations of their beliefs and possibly invite them to understand the duality of moral values. That there is no black and white in morality and that right and wrong is but a mere perspective which can shift with wisdom acquired by knowledge.
Founder and CEO of Soolkaama
Global Creative Head at Lensational
Utrechtsestraat 98, 1017 VS Amsterdam
G3, Oricon House, 12 /14 Rampart Row, K. Dubash Rd.,
Kalaghoda, Mumbai – India 400 001.
- Pingyao International Photo Festival, Shanxi, China 2019 (Curated by Niyatee Shinde)
- An Lanntair Arts Centre, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, UK 2018
- Platform Gallery, Glasgow, UK 2018
- Les nuits de Pierrevert, Montpellier, France 2018
- Tasveer Journal, India 2018
- Egaro Photo Festival, Agartala, Tripura, India 2017
- Just Another Photo Festival, Kolkatta, India 2017
- Kalinka Gallery, Pondicherry, India 2017
- Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts & Communication (SACAC), New Delhi, India 2017
- Fòcas Scotland – Commissioned by the British Council and Creative Scotland as part of the ‘UK/India Year of Culture 2017’ to make new lens-based work that shall travel through UK and India during 2018 – Edinburgh, UK 2017
- Bikaner House, New Delhi, India, 2017
- An Lanntair Arts Centre, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, UK 2017
- A Surreal Vision, Loosen Art, Rome, Italy 2017
- The Realm of Queer Desires – India Culture Lab, Mumbai, India 2017
- Addis Foto Fest, Addis Ababa – Ethiopia 2016
- The One Fest Goa, Goa – India 2016
- Public House Of Art, Amsterdam, Netherlands 2016.
- “Disappearing Dialogues” – Art Residency, Art Ichol, Maihar, Madhya Pradesh.
- Named by Homegrown as one of the top 9 artists in India who are exploring sex and sexuality in important ways.
- Dali International Photography Festival, China 2015
- Athens International Photo Festival, Greece 2015
- Kala Ghoda Arts Festival, Mumbai, India 2015
- Goa International Photography Festival, Goa, India 2015
- Focus Photography Festival – Mumbai, India 2015
- Director’s Choice Award – Adjudged by Mr. Arko Dutta – World Press Photo Of the Year Winner, Mumbai 2012
2017 – Present (www.soolkaama.com)
2012-Present (www.sandeepdhopate.com) –
- Fine Art – Contemporary Indian narratives exploring the history of religion, spirituality and sexuality
- Commercial – Advertising, Fashion and Portraiture commercial commissions
- Photojournalism – Commissioned work for non-profits
- Commercial Photography – Portraiture and Fashion
- Volunteer work – Storytelling workshops employing photography for effective communication. Consulting with non-profits to help them conceive branding and marketing strategies.
1999 – 2012 – Cross discipline Business and Technical Consulting heading Product Development and Project Management teams.
LIMITED EDITION PRINTS