Sandeep’s works explore the intersections between religion, spirituality and sexuality often questioning our current moral value system that seems to have been established through a mass blind acceptance of a normalised truth claim .
His unique visual style, Indian in its aesthetics, uses colours and symbolisms to further his stories. His approach towards staged portraiture creates a tension between what is real and what is fiction. By challenging widely held beliefs within the Indian culture, he employs a narrative style that blurs the lines between the real and the imagined often forcing the viewer to ponder over parallel interpretations.
A recipient of several awards, his works have been exhibited worldwide.
Having studied and worked in the US for over 15 years in the corporate sector, Sandeep eventually relocated back to India and has been a visual artist since 2010
Apart from his fine art work, Sandeep is currently involved in a few other endeavours. He heads a venture dedicated to the upliftment of Indian Handicraft businesses wherein he works with NGO’s engaged in effort for sustainable rural artisanal development. He helps rural handicraft projects to develop their brand by guiding them to produce original and aesthetically evolved marketing and branding collaterals using cost effective and locally sourced talent to produce content inspired by the region’s socio-cultural evolution. He is also involved in the capacity of Global Creative Head at Lensational – a UK based NGO working towards women empowerment through photography, and teaches the craft of story telling to individuals whose stories are often ignored by main stream media.
|| Email – email@example.com || Mobile – +91-96191 40101 || Mumbai, India ||
Utrechtsestraat 98, 1017 VS Amsterdam
G3, Oricon House, 12 /14 Rampart Row, K. Dubash Rd.,
Kalaghoda, Mumbai – India 400 001.
- An Lanntair Arts Centre, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, UK 2018
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, India 2018
- Platform Gallery, Glasgow, UK 2018
- Les nuits de Pierrevert, Montpellier, France 2018
- Tasveer Journal, India 2018
- Egaro Photo Festival, Agartala, Tripura, India 2017
- Just Another Photo Festival, Kolkatta, India 2017
- Kalinka Gallery, Pondicherry, India 2017
- Sri Aurobindo Centre for Arts & Communication (SACAC), New Delhi, India 2017
- Fòcas Scotland – Commissioned by the British Council and Creative Scotland as part of the ‘UK/India Year of Culture 2017’ to make new lens-based work that shall travel through UK and India during 2018 – Edinburgh, UK 2017
- Bikaner House, New Delhi, India, 2017
- An Lanntair Arts Centre, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, UK 2017
- A Surreal Vision, Loosen Art, Rome, Italy 2017
- The Realm of Queer Desires – India Culture Lab, Mumbai, India 2017
- Addis Foto Fest, Addis Ababa – Ethiopia 2016
- The One Fest Goa, Goa – India 2016
- Public House Of Art, Amsterdam, Netherlands 2016.
- MerchantsOfCool features “Manthan” as part of a curated series of works by renowned fine art photographers of India. – 2016
- Part of 10 internationally selected group of artistes for a collaborative research program titled “Disappearing Dialogues” in Art Ichol, Maihar, Madhya Pradesh. Works to be exhibited at the India Habitat Centre in December 2017.
- LensCulture.com, USA, February 2016 – Featured – “Elysium”
- LensCulture.com, USA, January 2016 – Featured on the homepage – “smaraNa – A Recollection”
- Named by Homegrown as one of the top 9 artists in India who are exploring sex and sexuality in important ways.
- Dali International Photography Festival, China 2015
- Athens International Photo Festival, Greece 2015
- Kala Ghoda Arts Festival, Mumbai, India 2015
- Goa International Photography Festival, Goa, India 2015
- Focus Photography Festival – Mumbai, India 2015
- Focus Photography Festival, Mumbai, India 2013
- Director’s Choice Award – Adjudged by Mr. Arko Dutta – World Press Photo Of the Year Winner, Mumbai 2012
- Branding, Marketing and Content strategy using photography – Ongoing workshops with artisan’s employed in handloom and handicrafts based industry in rural India. Through these workshops, I teach the artisan’s techniques to promote their work in a way that is original and aesthetically evolved. I believe photography as a communication medium can be more effective if people are taught to tell their stories themselves.
- Kadam Haat, West Bengal
- Kumbaya – Samaj Pragati Sahayog, Madhya Pradesh
- Women’s Weave (The Handloom School), Madhya Pradesh
- Art Ichol, Maihar, Madhya Pradesh
- Skill building workshops on behalf of Lensational – Ongoing workshops in association with Lensational aimed at improving soft skills of young women participants using photography and story telling activities.
- Rescue Foundation – India
- Girls Gotta Run – Ethiopia
- www.vijanaamanipamoja.org (VAP) – Kenya
- Brave Hearts Ethiopia – Ethiopia
2012-Present (www.sandeepdhopate.com) –
- Fine Art – Contemporary Indian narratives exploring the history of religion, spirituality and sexuality
- Commercial – Advertising, Fashion and Portraiture commercial commissions
- Photojournalism – Commissioned work for non-profits
- Lensational – Global Head of Creative (www.lensational.org)
- Commercial Photography – Portraiture and Fashion
- Volunteer work – Storytelling workshops employing photography for effective communication. Consulting with non-profits to help them conceive branding and marketing strategies.
1999 – 2012
- Cross discipline Business and Technical Consulting heading Product Development and Project Management teams.
- Diploma (Photography) – India, 2012
- MS (Computer Science) – USA, 1999
- PMP certified (Project Management Professional) – USA 2007
- BE (Computer Engineering) – India, 1997
LIMITED EDITION PRINTS